October 8, 2013

IE10 Incompatibility with Yahoo Mail...
or Vice Versa.

A couple weeks ago, a client with a new PC complained of an error message repeatedly appearing at the bottom of a page in Internet Explorer 10.  This happened particularly when using the latest version of Yahoo's web-based email. It was a constant irritant that covered part of the box for composing an email message and would reappear shortly after being dismissed.

Message box with white background, black text, and yellow bar along its top edge.
The Offending Message

Now, I don't use IE unless absolutely necessary.  My Windows PCs all run XP or earlier with IE8 at best, and I run Fedora Linux on my main PC (which blessedly won't run IE).  So, I hadn't run into this non-Windows-standard message box before.  The client was also running Norton AntiVirus, and the message box matched Norton's color scheme.  So, naturally I assumed that Norton was somehow generating the message appearing in IE.

After much wheel-spinning, it came to light that IE itself was generating the messages.

The Compatibility Mode Button
I tried a few things suggested on the net, none of which worked. As a last resort that shouldn't have worked, I clicked IE's "Compatibility Mode" button. I say "it shouldn't have worked" since Compatibility Mode is intended to fix problems with old sites and Yahoo's site is supposedly modern. Obviously, one or the other is mucked up. You're invited to place your bets on which one. At any rate, that click solved the whole problem. (Anybody out there know of a text emoticon for rolling one's eyes?)

Here's hoping this helps someone save some time and avoid some frustration!

No comments:

Post a Comment